Saturday, May 23, 2009

My Tivolution: Cash Cab

If you haven't already, set your favorite DVR (or tune in live if you absolutely must) to the Discovery Channel game show Cash Cab.  Hosted by comedian Ben Bailey, the show takes place inside a New York City taxi cab.  There are a couple of reasons I love the show.  

First, the technology required to overcome the logistical challenges of recording a game show live in a moving vehicle fascinates me.  As a former student of video production, I would jump at the opportunity to witness the show live from "behind the scenes".  Some of the secrets are revealed on the show's web site here.


Second, unlike any other game show I can think of, Cash Cab contestants don't have an agenda i.e., they aren't trying to get on a game show.  Statistically speaking, the show's concept seems to be a great way to get a random sampling of "the average Joe" contestant.  

Finally, Cash Cab contestants are constantly impressing me with their mastery of "general knowledge". The mainstream media tends to make me think we live in a nation of dunderheads, but watching regular people answer questions about current events, history, technology, etc.--and get them right--makes me feel a little better about how smart the American people really are.

So what's next, Discovery? Money Train on the subway? Cash Car in LA? Give me a call, I'll help you find the next concept. And if you need a host, I could make myself available.

No comments: